Tuesday, January 25, 2011

w3 American Eats

     American food is hard to define due to the fact that America is made up of so many different cultures. If I were to open up an American restaurant in Germany and incorporate foods that best represent America, I would have a restaurant made up of the most appealing food Americans love to eat. Now, the most appealing isn't always the healthiest. I am not considered to be a healthy eater, so of course my meals aren't going to be on the healthy side but they are too delicious to resist. I serve at a steak house in Cincinnati, and I have tried just about everything on the menu. The good thing about a steak house is that it includes a variety of different foods on the menu that appeal to Americans (not just steak). My restaurant would include the following dishes that I find the majority of Americans would enjoy and that Germans wouldn't be able to resist. Here are a few dishes that would be included in my "Comfort Cookin'" restaurant. I cannot list all of the foods that most represent American food culture because almost all dishes have been “Americanized,” but I will come up with some of the tastiest American delicacies there are.

“Comfort Cookin’” Presents:

The Victorian Filet
The first meal on my menu would be a delicious filet cooked to the consumer's perfection (I prefer medium of course). The filet is the tenderest of all the steaks, so this is key for why I chose this steak. This filet would be seasoned and seared, to enhance the juiciness of the meat. Let's face it, a lot of Americans love red meat. You can't have an American restaurant without steak, right? The Victorian filet would also come with a side and a salad of the customer's choice.

Gold Halibut
Seafood is viewed highly in the food culture of America, so you I wouldn’t have a restaurant without it. Seafood is considered healthy (compared to most food we eat), even though we ignore the fact that it was probably cooked in a lot of butter anyhow. In my opinion, white fish is way better than salmon and that is why I chose Halibut. The halibut would be over a wood fired grill served with rice and a vegetable of choice.

Spinach Artichoke dip
For starters, try some "spin dip." Creamy Spinach artichoke dip with flakey, buttery, crunchy chips. The spin dip would be made to perfection, where the combination would just melt in your mouth. There won't be any big chunks of artichokes either; they would blend in with the creamy sauce.

Skyline Chili
I know Skyline Chili doesn't represent all of America, but it represents my America. Everybody needs to try it at least once anyways. So instead of having a Texas style chili included on my menu, I thought I would include a different type of Chili that some Americans are crazy for. The chili will be served anyway you like it. On hotdogs, spaghetti, burritos, etc.

Mama's Cookin'
(Warning: Portion sizes may overwhelm you)
This is a special category for southern comfort foods that are also prevalent in America. Under this menu will be massive amounts of; corn bread casserole, fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes, corn, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, green beans, grits, hash brown casserole, fried Okra, barbeque on honey buns, and delicious homemade rolls. You aren't American unless you enjoy the satisfaction of these comfort foods.

Blue cheese salad
Another somewhat healthy menu item that would be included will be a delicious salad. This salad would have a blend of dark greens along with carrots and blue cheese vinaigrette dressing that comes with blue cheese crumbles and pecans on top. If you aren't a lover of a blue cheese salad, there will also be traditional salads and dressings of your choice as well.

The triple threat desert
You can't have an American restaurant without a desert to die for! My triple threat would include the following; New York Cheese cake, gooey turtle brownies with caramel and nuts, and a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice cream with whip cream included.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment