Monday, February 21, 2011

Secret Family Recipe (W7)

     When it comes to family recipes, I usually don't question the ingredients because I just accept them for their deliciousness. I actually called my mom to ask her if there is any secrets in the recipes that her, my dad and my grandma may use. I asked her about my dad first and of course she responded with, "well your dad just thinks he has secret recipes but really doesn't." This was funny because my whole family knows that my dad tries to exaggerate the originality of his meals. He usually isn't exaggerating though, because I find almost everything he makes to be out of this world! I have mentioned his ribs before where he claims there is a secret technique to the cooking process. I am pretty sure it has to do with the timing because they are "fall off the bone ribs" every single time. I was sad to hear that my dad actually just cooked ribs tonight because its my favorite meal and my mom rubbed it in my face. She promised that when I come home for spring break she will have him make them again though.
     The question to my mom about the recipes also sparked some funny memories of my aunt's chili. My aunt (bless her heart) isn't the greatest cook. She is a nurse, so she is kind of a work-a-holic and doesn't have a whole lot of time to cook. When she does cook though she always makes a lot of food so my family comes over to try whatever it is that she made. She has a special chili she makes, and when she makes it right it is actually pretty good. My mom told me that her secret to the chili is grape jelly, which surprised me because I never really noticed. The reason why I haven't ever really noticed is because nine times out of ten the chili would be burnt. We would call her chili "ash tray chili" and has been a joke ever since.
     As for my mom, I noticed that her main ingredient for almost everything is cheese! My mom makes the cheesiest broccoli casserole ever along with the cheesiest lasagna. Her lasagna has beat the lasagna at every Italian restaurant I have been too. Every layer (including the very top and very bottom) has a generous amount of Velveeta cheese. I can't wait to have that again either!
     Lastly, I have to mention a punch that has been in my family forever. I first tried it from my grandma, and then my mom started making it for every one of my birthday parties. It's an orange punch that doesn't sound extremely special or anything but I would have to say that it's my favorite drink and would pick it over anything else if I had the choice. Whenever you decide you want to throw a party, I recommend serving this punch. Our family punch includes 4 packets of orange kool-aide, 5 cups of sugar (my grandma uses 6), 1 can of frozen orange juice and 1 large can of pineapple juice. This actually serves four gallons of punch, so my mom usually freezes the rest if it isn't all used. It makes a delicious Popsicle and you can even fill up an ice cube tray with it for some extra cool flavor too the punch.
    My family secret recipes may not be the most secretive and original but they sure do make an impression. I have to say that my dad wins with his ribs every time though and if he says its secret and original then I am going to believe it. My mom just likes to prove him wrong sometimes!

1 comment: