Tuesday, March 1, 2011

w8 Myers and Foodies

     Myers spends time looking deeper into the world of foodies. To a certain extent his claims are legitimate but I feel like he gets a little harsh with some of his points. He is legitimate in the claims where he uses examples to show how foodies have a stuck-up attitude. He goes into detail to describe the foodies' lavish lifestyle, and what sets them apart from an average person. Myer's created a negative image of foodies for me. When looking deeper into the texts and examples, I reflected on why and how I should trust a foodie's judgment. Their judgment does seem to be very single-minded which Myer's makes clear throughout his text. I don't understand the reasoning for looking up to snobbish, rich, single-minded people for food advice when I am on a completely different level of a foodie.
     When I talk of being on a different level, I mean that I don't look for the same standards as a foodie does since their standards are so high and they have a lot of luxury compared to me. Myer's does a good job of painting a picture of famous foodies, with their quotes and images portraying them as nowhere near average people. Myers points out that its repetitive for a foodie to overuse dramatic descriptions of the food they taste. I agree with this because in this text and in class, I have noticed food writers tend to put food on a pedestal making it seem like its their religion.
     The only point I think that Myers goes overboard with is his claim; "is there any civilized value that foodies can't turn on its head?" he uses this to refer to how certain foodies like Bourdain, see it as rude when religious reasons come into play while eating a meal someone has prepared for them. I don't feel like the foodie is in any wrong here due to the fact that you should be able to respect someone else's cooking and especially if it is of great tradition in their family. I think that Myer exaggerated here and was trying to make a foodie to seem more evil then what they really are because I highly doubt the intentions were the same.
     Myers did a good job of giving me a negative image of a foodie, in which most I agreed because in some ways a foodie can seem a bit ridiculous. He does get a little harsh but still uses his logic to back up his claims. His logic can be either accepted or denied by the reader. If one thing is for sure is that Myers doesn't seem like he is going to jump on the foodie bandwagon any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment